Sunday, 13 July 2014

Lemon Tart

Anyone fancy a slice of zingy lemony tart? Yes I hear you cry. Then keep reading! 


Lemon Tart


A lemon tart has to be one of my new favourites. As I have got older my taste buds have changed! 



Lemon tart seems to tick all the right boxes for me now. With its crispy thin layer of pastry and the creamy, silky filling giving a punch of lemony zing. 



Ingredients

For the pastry

8oz plain flour
4oz butter, cubed
3oz icing sugar
1 egg, lightly wisked

For the filling

Juice and finely grated zest of 6 large lemons  
6 large eggs
7oz caster sugar
7floz double cream

Method

  1. Put the flour and butter into a bowl and rub together until it resembles bread crumbs.
  2. Stir in the icing sugar.
  3. Add the egg and bring the mixture together until it forms a dough. If the mixture is too dry add a tablespoon of milk until it forms a dough.
  4. Tip out onto a lightly floured surface and form into a ball.
  5. Wrap the dough in clingfilm and pop into the fridge for 30 mins.


  6. Once chilled, take the dough and roll out on a floured surface until the thickness of just less than a £1 coin.
  7. Line a 23cm tart tin with the rolled out pastry, leaving the excess pastry to fall over the edges of the tin.
  8. Pop the lined tin back into the fridge for 10 mins.
  9. Meanwhile turn the oven on to 200/180 fan/Gas Mark 6.
  10. Take the pastry out of the fridge and line with parchment paper and fill with baking beans. Blind bake for 15 minutes.

Individual Tartlets - see Tip below

  11. Take out of the oven and remove the baking beans and parchment paper.
  12. Use a sharp knife to neatly trim the excess pastry from the edges.
  13. Pop back into the oven for 10 minutes, until the pastry looks golden brown and cooked through. Take out and leave to one side.
  14. Turn the oven down to 160/140 fan/Gas Mark 3.
  15. Whisk all the filling ingredients together into a bowl.


  16. Pour the filling into the pastry case and bake for 35-40 minutes. The filling should be set with a slight wobble to the middle.

Makes 1 23cm tart.

Tip
This recipe can make 6-8 individual tartlets. Just adapt the cooking times as follows:
  1. Blind bake for 10mins. 
  2. Then pop back in for another 10 minutes without the baking beans and parchment.
  3. Cook the final tart with filling for 20 minutes. 



Chop up the tart and enjoy!


Enjoy the thin crispy layer of pastry....


And that oh so sweet center.



Oh wait, lets just enjoy this some more...

 


I've linked my Lemon Tart recipe to a few lovely Linky's

Link up your recipe of the week

Casa Costello

Tasty Tuesdays on HonestMum.com



19 comments:

  1. I was only talking yesterday about my taste buds changing and how I like lemon now! Spooky. This looks like a perfect bake - Thanks again for joining in with #Bakeoftheweek x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spooky indeed! It is odd how taste buds can change so much though, I even like brussel sprouts now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am completely obsessed with lemon, in sweet and savoury dishes and this one looks just fab!
    #TastyTuesdays

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sophie! I agree Lemon is one of my firm favourites at the moment!

      Delete
  4. I love lemon tart and your recipe looks sooooo good!! Definitely one to try.....!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so in love with how thin your pastry is! I can never perfect this one! I always end up too much of them. But will try those baking beans. I usually just let them be. Thanks! #TastyTuesdays

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit it did take me 2 attempts to roll the pastry out this thin! Baking beans are a must - but I just use dried beans that I keep in a separate pot. There's no need to buy fancy baking beans!

      Delete
  6. I started to look at your smoothie, but I get easily distracted by anything with 'lemon' in it! This looks delicious, thanks for sharing #recipeoftheweek

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad it's not just me who's easily distracted! Thanks Danielle

      Delete
  7. I love lemon tarts. Which reminds me it's been ages since I tasted one! Maybe I should have a go at making your recipe.
    Thanks for linking to #CookBlogShare – check out the other entries on Pinteresthttp://www.pinterest.com/supergolden88/cookblogshare/
    and Google+
    https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/107696809290414888934

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you like it if you try my recipe :-)

      Delete
  8. Love lemon tart, with a buttery pastry and a dollop of cream - yours looks a beaut.

    Angela - Garden Tea cakes and Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Angela. Oooo yes a dollop of cream would finish this off a treat!

      Delete
  9. That looks like the perfect lemon tart

    ReplyDelete
  10. Utter perfection-DREAMY! Thanks for linking up to #tastytuesdays

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love lemon tart - it's one of my favourite desserts but strangely enough I never make it myself. This looks so tempting I wish I could eat it off the screen!!

    ReplyDelete

Have you seen these yet?