Friday, 6 June 2014

Chocolate Brownie Nemesis

Many a batch of brownies made by my fair hands has gone straight in the bin. For some reason I just could not get them right. Whether the recipe was all wrong or I over/under cooked the darn things or they just didn't taste like the brownies from my dreams. 

But finally I have conquered all demons and have found the perfect recipe for the most squidgy fudgy gooey brownies on this planet. I can finally say 'I can cook brownies'!



This deserves 3 pictures!

It all came about after a visit from my step brother who brought with him a tub full of gorgeous brownies. As soon as I tasted them I pounced on him asking 'Did you make these yourself?' 'Did you make them from scratch?' 'What recipe did you use?' He looked slightly offended that I had to ask if he'd made them himself!

He then said that he'd used the Good Food recipe, but had put extra chocolate chunks in as he had misread the recipe! No sooner had he gone I was straight on the internet and writing down the ingredients I needed.

I got straight to it, putting extra chocolate chunks in as he did and I took the end result to a family gathering (the other side of the family). They all raved about them! Even the ones that were on diets caved in a had a slither. Looking back I perhaps should have given some credit to my step brother. I wont tell him if you wont! 

Good Food Best Ever Brownie Recipe

I have tweaked it slightly and cut down the method as it was quite long winded. 

INGREDIENTS

185g unsalted butter
185g dark chocolate, broken up (I used Bournville)
85g plain flour
40g cocoa powder
75g white chocolate
50g milk chocolate
3 large eggs
275g caster sugar

METHOD

  1. Cut the butter into cubes and place in a bowl with the dark chocolate. 





  2. Put the bowl over a saucepan of boiling water until the butter and chocolate have melted. Take off the heat and leave to cool.




  3. Heat the oven to 180C/160C fan/Gas mark 4.
  4. Line a 20cm square cake tin with baking parchment. Try to leave some parchment up over the edge so you can lift the cooked brownies out. 
  5. Chop up the milk and white chocolate into rough chunks. Leave to one side.
  6. Break the 3 eggs into a large bowl and tip in the caster sugar. 



  7. Whisk until thick and creamy. You'll know when it's ready when the mixture becomes pale and doubled in size.




  8. Pour the cooled chocolate mixture over the egg mixture. Gently fold with a spatula, trying not to knock out any air.



  9. Sift in the flour and cocoa powder. Gently fold into the mixture. 



  10. Fold in the milk and white chocolate chunks.



  11. Pour the mixture gently into the prepared tin and level the surface.


I unfortunately don't have a picture with the baking parchment left up over the edge of the tin as I forgot to do this stage. This made it very tricky to get them out of the tin when cooked! I still cannot quite get it right! It didn't effect the taste though! 

  12. Bake in the middle of the oven for 25 minutes. After which gently shake the tin, if the brownie wobbles in the middle, it's not quite done. So pop it back in the oven for another 5 minutes until the top has a shiny, papery crust and the sides are beginning to come away from the tin.
  13. Leave in the tin to cool completely. Then lift out onto the serving board. Cut into 16 squares.







  14. These will keep in an airtight container for 2 weeks.




If they last that long!

6 comments:

  1. Well done for cracking it. These brownies do look rather wonderful. I'm on a constant quest to find the perfect brownie. Pretty much each one I make, I reckon is the best - until the next time. If you do undercook brownies, I've found putting them back in the oven again (even if they have long gone cold) gives a good result.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Choclette I'll remember that tip!

      Delete
  2. Well done on conquering your nemesis. I do love a good brownie and bbc good food recipes have never failed me. I made their chocolate and raspberry brownies recently and they were amazing! I like how you've added in milk and white chocolate chunks here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yum chocolate and raspberry brownies sound good too- I must try that now I've mastered the brownie!

      Delete
  3. Well done :) These look great! I haven't tried to cook brownies but it is definitely on my to do with the girls x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes this would be a great recipe to cook with kids, although they may end up eating a lot of it as they go!!

      Delete

Have you seen these yet?